September 10, 2006

I know the passionate seizure of beauty

And just who the hell am I?

Sammy Tamimi, a performer/director/producer by night, Chicago nerd/layabout by day.

Professionally: Trained at Second City-Detroit, Chicago City Limits, ImprovOlympic, Second City-Chicago and The Annoyance. Taker of many workshops, maker of many more, producer of a couple shows, performer in a crap ton more.

Personally: I've washed dishes, bussed tables, served food, rented cars, messengered packages, rented pool tables, made pizzas, rented tennis courts, given plasma, coached tennis, delivered bread, temped offices, monitored newscasts, collected unemployment, admin assisted and drove an airport shuttle bus in circles until I wanted to scream. I've worked first shift, second shift, third shift, doubleshift and doubletime. I've been hired & fired, re-hired & re-fired, been laid off or have walked out or just never showed up again. And these are just the ones I remember...

...and I've probably made more in a month or two at any of those jobs than I have earned in my whole improv career.

Yet here I am.

An improvisor in Chicago.


(title courtesy of Chicago son, Carl Sandburg)