March 13, 2007

Warm ups

I don't like warming up for small-group shows.

Just give me some good conversation. Maybe some bits.

How's your week been? Whatcha been up to? Want a beer?

Then I'll find a little time for myself to loosen up or internally do some focus exercises.

That's all I need. Really.

But when it comes time to do a medium-to-large sized group show, I'll dive headfirst into the all the gayballs warmups people want to do. I hate it, but I commit heart and soul. For me, it's a little thing to get the blood moving and to overtly show, "hey, I'm here for you!" ...and then I'll find a little time for myself to loosen up or internally do some focus exercises.

No one's too good for warm ups (as in "I'm so awesome warming up is a waste of my time"), but not everyone gets the same things from warm ups. I think that takes a while to learn, to not automatically judge someone who doesn't like warm ups.

After awhile of doing this improv thing, you start to find what works for you in general. Just as importantly, you learn when to backburner your own thing to help others warm up and get ready to rock out a show.

I'm sure the irony is that as a director, I pretty much mandate a warm up for all my groups.

Go figure ;)

One day I'll figure out how to balance the individual needs and the group needs...one day...