October 09, 2006

Curses

I should be asleep. Or at least sprawled in bed digging into Ultramarines or some Vonnegut. But I'm not wired that way. My body wants to stay up past 1 am and sleep till noon. Stupid body clock.

Something the Playground Theater did this schedule was give a show to the members-at-large--people who aren't on a Playground ensemble but contribute enough to be considered a member of the theater. Because of my work on Big Yellow Bus, Open Court and other projects, I became a member-at-large. Sadly, the show was cancelled tonight as there was no house for tonight's show. Nothing sucks more than seeing the clock tick down to Go Time and seeing only the other performers in the theater.

Ah, well. Chinese food and DVR'd shows take the sting out of all disappointment.

I'll be back the PG on Wednesday night to catch the debut show of the incubator ensemble "The Riot." The Riot is the first incubator ensemble to run under the tri-director method--during the ensemble's first year, three different directors come in and work with the group for four months, giving the ensemble three different POVs and approaches to the work. Jorin Garguilo is running them right now, I'll do a stint starting in January and Roger Payton will take over in May. Jorin gave the most humorous analogy about our roles: Jorin was the warm and supportive mother, I was the no nonsense father and Roger was the cool older brother who had already gone to college.

Damn, I wish I was the cool older brother.

And of course I'll be back at the theater on Thursday for Big Yellow Bus. With Roger and Lisa doing most of the grunt work, it's become more of a pleasure than it used to be for me; for the longest time I was pretty much 'do everything Johnny' and it became a bit of an onerous chore to run the Bus (even though it was so worth it afterwards). I'll probably stick around and do Open Court after the Bus the next couple weeks to sharpen my chops for the impending SC audition.

So three nights of PG face time with Friday off from improv and then back into directing a couple of rehearsals this weekend.

Goddammit, why can't I make a living do this? Or at least pay some of the bills?

SONABITCHCOCKMOTHERFUCKERASSMUNCHJERKFACESHITHEAD

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKITYFUCKFUCK

sorry.