October 24, 2006

Directing Fool

Chrysalis Clark tapes a pair of shows this Thursday to submit to the Seattle Festival of Improv; one full 30-minute show during the Big Yellow Bus slot and one quick 15-minutes show during the Open Court slot. Chrissy's boyfriend, Louie, is not only kind enough to loan us his camera for the shoot, but to digitize and burn the footage the next day so we can FedEx the package out to SFIT before the deadline.

I just got hired by Wing Night to be their director. It was one of serendipitous things where I had an off weekend from CC and did a pick up sub gig with WN, while concurrently working with a trio of WN peeps who were heading down to the Gainesville Improv Festival. Both the mini-WN and the full WN rehearsals went well and now I'm a hired gun. Bang! On a nice note, the WN crew at GIF had a good show. Bang! Bang!

I'm doing some pick up sub gigs with Mess Hall although, yikes schnikes, I pulled a boner of a move last night. I was absolutely positive that rehearsal began at 7:30 when it had, in fact, begun at 7:00. I was hanging out at Sayjal and Chrissy's beforehand killing time and watching Sayjal's Sonic commercials only blocks away from Gill Park. So when I strolled in 10 minutes early I was actually 20 minutes late. D'oh! I kept the rehearsal moving and on point, ran over a little bit to make up for lost time and at the end waived my coach's fee ($5/head). Seriously, I was unprofessional and made them wait for me for 20 minutes, so there was no way I could take their money in good faith. It was the least I could do and I treated it as a little lesson in humility for myself.

The other week I subbed in to give show notes to The Riot, the incubator team that I am slated to run for four months starting in January. It was an interesting experience to try to give notes without stepping on the current director's toes...which always the case any time I sub in for show notes for any group. The worst part was I was operating on four hours of sleep when I gave the notes so I was (restrospectively) worried I was rambly, discursive and disjointed. Well, come January, I'll be much more rested. Hopefully.

Plinko is fighting scheduling issues. I gotta get on that and totally Tim Gunn it--Make. It. Work.

So, tons of directing, not so much performing. Need to rectify that...