January 25, 2007

So, whatcha been up to?

This week I'm gonna suck it up.

Thursday, I'll send out (yet another) batch of Craigslist and Chicago Reader resumes then I'll tromp around to various biznesseseses in my area and try to score a gig. Part-time, full-time, slinging coffee, whatever.

A part-time gig would pay the bills, a full-time gig gets me back in the saddle; I need clothes, glasses, contacts, etc.

My W-2 stuff came in early and I e-filed right away, letting me catch up on rent and stuff, but wow, when I realized how much my return was, I almost crapped my pants. Almost. It saved my bacon and that was eminently crap-worthy if I do say so.

But man...in a way how awesome has this been? Directing groups and using that cash to buy groceries, or house managing and using that money for sundries.

Yeah, yeah, sure it's not like I had much of a choice, but it felt good in a way. I was earning money doing what I love, and then using that money for stuff I need.

That probably sounded dumb.

It was nice at times to think my only job for the last couple of months was directing and sub-coaching and while it didn't pay the rent, it took care of some of the other stuff.

* * *

Right now, I'm working with two groups, Wing Night and The Riot. Wing Night is a former Incubator ensemble that needed a director and I happened to subcoach and got the gig. The Riot is a current Incubator ensemble and I'm in the beginning part of my four-month tour with them (I'm the second director of three that will work with The Riot over a year). With Chrysalis Clark retired and my temporary hiatus from Big Yellow Bus due to Riot rehearsal/BYB show time conflict, I'm pretty much a two-ensemble guy with the occasional pick up show or subcoaching gig here or there along with the Incubator Auditions in February and the General Auditions in March brewing on the side.

Eh, I'm bored.

I'll end here.